This was few months back when my hubby and me went to a south Indian fast food place. We ordered bisblebath togo, we went home and when we opened the bisblebath, they gave a red color pickle which was chunky, sour and had a strong taste. I had a feeling that I tasted this kind of pickle before, first we thought it was mango pickle but to my surprise it was a carrot and ginger pickle. So I tried it the very next day and it turned out to be very very tasty. Here goes my version of the recipe....
1. 1 Stick of carrot(long and thick)
2. 1 inch of ginger (ginger should be 1/2 the qty of carrot)
3. 1 lemon
4. 1 1/2 tsp of jeera pwd
5. 1 tsp of methi pwd
6. 2 tbsp of red chili pwd
7. salt to taste
8. 2 tbsp of oil(use peanut/ sunflower oil for better taste)
9. For popu or tadka 1 tsp each - curry leaves, mustard seeds, dry red chilli's
1. Peel and grate the carrot and ginger together in a grater.
2. Heat oil in a kadai( or a pan) and when hot simmer the stove and add mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chillies.
3. After few seconds take the kadai (or pan) off the stove and put it aside.
4. Lets wait till the oil gets warm(it would take approx. 3 mins), then add the jeera pwd, methi pwd, chilli pwd and salt.(Make sure to wait till it gets warm or the pickle color would be dark brown and tastes different)
5. After few seconds add the carrot-ginger mixture to the above and mix well.
6. Let wait till the whole thing cools down. When its cold take the juice of the lemon and add it to the above mixture and mix well.
7. Taste the pickle for salt. If you think it has less salt add it.
8. Store it in a air tight container in the fridge. Its ready to eat immediately, but tastes better next day.
Will last for a week in fridge.
I tried to take pictures from my camera phone. I hope they are clear.
This is my entry for
Jihva for Ingredients - Ginger hosted by Rosie of ‘Whats the recipe today'
Kitchen Notes: All quantities are approx., changes should be made according to the taste.
Recipe Source: My own creation.