Tomato Chutney from my Mom's kitchen
1. Tomatoes - 4 nos Medium size(I prefer using tomatoes on the vine or plum tomatoes)
2. Green Chillies - 8 nos (Adjust it according to ur taste, I prefer little hot)
3. Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
4. Coriander/ Kothmir chopped - 1 tbsp
5. Mint chopped - 1 tbsp
6. Sesame/Til/Nuvulu - 2 tbsp - dry roast and grind to a fine powder
7. Turmeric - 1tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. For popu or tadka 1 tsp each - curry leaves, mustard seeds, dry red chilli's
10. Oil for tadka
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil add whole green green chillies, kothmir/Coriander, pudina and tamarind paste. Let it fry for a min then add the cut tomatoes.
2. Put the lid and make the stove to medium flame.
3. Check it after 5 - 10 mins, you can see that the water came from tomatoes starts leaving, at this point keep the lid open.
4. After some time you can see only little liquid is left, switch off the stove and let it cool.
5. Take out the green chillies from it and grind it to fine paste along with the sesame paste, add salt.
6. Take a big spatula and try to mix the tomato mixture so that it becomes fine paste. Now add the green chili and sesame mixture, mix well.
7. Finally heat some oil for seasoning, add curry leaves, mustard seeds, dry red chilli's, fry for few seconds, put it in the tomato mixture immediately.
8.Tomato chutney is ready:)can be served with roti, dosa, puri or white rice.
My entry to My Dhaba's VCC:VCC Q4-2006:FAHC:FAHC-campaign
Kitchen Notes: All quantities are approx., changes should be made according to the taste.
Recipe Source: My mom's own creation.