Masala Pappu / Masala Dal
1. 1 cup toor dal / kandi pappu
2. 2 cups water
3. 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4. 1 bay leaf
5. 3 cloves
6. 2 cardamom
7. 2 sticks of cinnamon
8. 1 tsp of shahi jeera
9. 2 tbsp of oil
10. salt to taste
11. 3 green chillies
12. 1 small onion finely chopped
13. 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
14. 1 tbsp mint leaves finely chopped (this is optional)
1. Wash dal and pressure cook it in water for 2 whistles (if not using pressure cooker, cook until it becomes soft).
2. Heat oil add bay leafs, cloves, cardamon, cinnamon and shahi jeera, let it fry for 2 mins.
3. Add onions, slit green chills and fry till translucent.
4. Add ginergarlic paste and fry for 2 more mins.
5. Add turmeric, cooked dal and salt.
6. Let it cook for 2 mins and take it off the stove.
7. Garnish it with coriander and mint leave.
8. It can be served with roti or white rice.
Kitchen Notes: All quantities are approx., changes should be made according to the taste.
Recipe Source: Mom's recipe.